Friday 31 January 2014

Today's Major Achievement - PEDALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

Buzzin!!!!  Woooo hooooo!!!!!  Well, as you can see I am pretty darned stoked today.

I've been super frustrated with my apparent lack of progress in the knee bend department so have been working really hard, both at home and at hospital, through a HELL of a lot of pain I kid thee not. I'd been getting teeth marks in the beds at the hospital gym where I had to bite down to stop from screaming as the physio 'assisted' my knee bends and have all sorts of rubber bands, skipping ropes and tea trays dotted about my house where I've been working hard on getting my mobility going. But still, I was stuck at 90-100 degree bend (just) and only rocking in the pedals on the bikes.

Anyway, went to rehab today as per usual, got on the plinths- did a few warm up exercises then the 'lovely' physio came and did my assisted stretches- up to 110, good leg was at about 125 without force so not too bad I thought.  Anyway, without a second thought I got on a bike when one came free ready to rock through the bottom half of a pedal stroke for ten minutes again. I sat on the bike, got my feet in the pedals and went to do a peal stroke and stretch where I got stuck.... oh, hang on.... wait a minute... I haven't got stuck!!!!! OMG (sorry but it was that or swearing ;-) I couldn't believe it, I could do a full pedal revolution, and to top it off, it actually felt relatively easy and pain free. WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!



I had to look at the physio and people next to me and exclaim "wow, I've done it, I've managed to pedal, yeay". Tell you what it made my day! I stayed for about 15 mins just steady pedalling, no real pain or bad stiffness, just very weak and unfit. Did the rest of my exercises chatting with the lovely Paulina (an innocent victim of trampoline knee crime) in a buzz then went for my usual brunch in Durham. Lovely view over the river today, kinda one up side of being injured getting to steal a few extra moments to appreciate things like this :-) Oh yeah, and I was feeling lucky so I put a few quid on the pools before getting the bus home hahaha. Mission for the weekend is to get the hardtail set up with the turbo trainer, then there'll be no stopping me :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment