Sunday 29 December 2013

3rd November - Hamsterley Uplifts, The Knee Smasher!













Buzzing off the fun I'd had in the last couple races I entered the Urban X remember the troops race, wharncliffe again, but decided I best get some practise in on the bike. i did a half day with the lovely Max at Endeavour Coaching (you can read my testimonial at http://endeavourcoaching.co.uk/testimonials/). He was great and had me doing some little drops and steep corners and jumps by the end of the day that I'd never have tried on my own beforehand.

Being greedy and wanting more DH bike experience i booked on uplifts at Descend Hamsterly, the day was going great but I'd ridden all the day previously and was absolutely  shattered. I did the easier tracks all day and at one point had to do a suicide dive out the way as Danny Hart flew past me - he apologised to me at the bottom bless him and we had a bit of a laugh and a joke about it; it must be amazing to be able to ride that well.... a girl can dream!


Was starting to feel really tired and was considering calling it a day but decided to squeeze in another run, don't know why but something happened coming down the rocks at dantes, think my front tyre slipped a bit... As i came off the bottom of them into the flat corner I went to brake but my horrid hope M4 back brake was dead so i think I panicked, pulled on the front, highsided it and next thing I knew I was sliding along the ground under my bike. Just as i thought I'd got away with it my foot hooked up in my frame, wrenched my foot backwards and I heard a loud snap and a pop and quite possibly the worst pain I've ever felt in my life so far :-( I knew I'd done my knee in, it was the same knee I'd broken earlier in January but this hurt way more so I knew it was naughty....



Some lovely lads were at the track side and they helped get me and my bike up to the cabin (so sorry for you boys that had to carry my lead weight ass up that hill) i felt so bad. Seeing how quiet I was Joe was really worried and him and Chris rang an ambulance for me. The rest is history but was in hospital for 10 days, had one operation and have a long rehab and more operations to come.  How ironic I'd just been talking to Tom at Broken Riders about working together on my 2014 race aspirations! Well, here I am now- I'm officially a broken rider, so I'm going to use this blog to summarise my rehab and with the help and support of my friends, sponsors and riding buddies I will be back racing in 2014. So watch this space and lets see what happens folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment